The portability of a laptop computer has many advantages, but it's also missing many features found in desktops. Instead of ditching your laptop all together, products and professional technicians from a computer store can upgrade and enhance the laptop experience. By choosing one or more of the following options, your laptop can come close to emulating the desktop experience.
A number of different USB accessories allow laptop owners to add enhancements that are typically found with a PC. Thanks to modern software upgrades, a majority of the following USB products are "plug & play," meaning they are installed and work instantly. Consult a computer technician for additional installation help.
- USB Number Pad: A lot of slim laptops eliminate the standard number pad on the side of a PC keyboard. A USB number pad allows you to easily type numbers, complete excel projects, and use digital calculators. The USB devices feature traditional settings like a "Num Lock."
- USB Optical Media Drives: Expand the use of your laptop to include additional optical drives. This is ideal for adding a CD burner, DVD burner, or a Blu-Ray burner. A computer technician can help you install the proper drivers and software to utilize the burners.
- USB Mouse: A laptop touch pad is sensitive and can be hard to use for technical things like video editing and games. USB mice are easy to find and available in both wired and wireless versions.
Remote Desktop Connection
Not only can you emulate the PC experience, but you can use special software to connect to your real desktop computer at home. A remote desktop connection essential creates a virtual network between your laptop and a computer at home. A computer technician can help set up proper security so your remote computer access is secure.
When running a remote desktop, you not only have access to all your files, but you have the ability to operate the whole computer from your laptop. This means that your operating system screen, wallpaper, and programs will all be available for use.
Hard Drive Upgrades
Because of the condensed design, a laptop may have limited space when compared to the ability of a full desktop computer. There are number of upgrades you can make to speed your hard drive up and add more space.
- Portable Hard Drive: A portable hard drive is ideal for storing media files or back up files from the laptop. It will keep the laptop hard drive dedicated to system files and allow everything to operate at a quick speed.
- Solid State Hard Drive: Also known as a SSD, a solid state hard drive can access files quicker and is quieter than a traditional hard drive. Newly expanded options allow these drives to connect to USB ports or directly into the case of a laptop. A technician can help install these drives to laptop for optimal performance.
One of the best ways to transform a laptop into a desktop is by connecting a monitor to the laptop device. Connecting a monitor is simple and an adapter may need to be purchased depending on the monitor you choose. Along with the monitor connection, there are a number of settings that a technician can set for optimal performance.
- Closed Screen: Operating system settings allow you to run your laptop on the monitor and keep your laptop screen closed while still in use. Typically, a laptop will go into a sleep mode when the screen is closed.
- HD Connections: An HD monitor can be set up and calibrated to deliver high quality streaming video services. This offers you a bigger viewing screen than a typical laptop screen.
Not only are these upgrades easy to implement with the help of a professional computer store, but your laptop can easily revert back to a fully portable mode whenever you're on the go.